The Art World in Chicago
The Art World in Chicago
The exterior of the Art Institute of Chicago Building at 111 S. Michigan in 1890s to 1900s.
A Portrait of Bertha Honore Palmer (1849-1918). Palmer was serious patron of the arts and was invited to lecture at the Art Institute of Chicago. She also made a generous bequest to the Art Institute of Chicago and formed the core of the museum’s…
An image of Foundation of Great Lakes in the 1900s surrounded by a flock of pigeons. It is used as the "then" shot to compare the modern day landscape.
Historic photograph of the Lake View Building in 1880s-1890s that housed the Art Institute under the stewardship of Charles L. Hutchinson until it moved to the modern day location on Michigan Avenue in 1893.
Black and White photograph of Georgia O'Keeffe as a young woman captured by photographer Alfred Stieglitz.
Cover of the catalogue for Negro in Art Week hosted by the Chicago Art Institute and Chicago Woman's Club
Exterior of Orchestra Hall (220 S. Michigan Ave.)-the location of the Cliff Dwellers Club. Various club members were associated and supported the Art Institute greatly.
An image of the Holabird & Roche designed McClurg Stationers and Booksellers Building at 215 S. Wabash Ave. It was the home of the Brush and Pencil Magazine from 1897-1907.
A drawn image of the Crosbys' Opera House on Washington Street that held the meeting that spurred the creation of a school for the Fine Arts or Chicago Academy of Design and later the Art Institute of Chicago.
The exterior of the Record-Herald Building, which housed the Fine Arts Journal magazine. The building itself is no longer extant, but it was located at 154 W. Washington Street.
Sculpture titled "Monument With Standing Beast" by the artist Jean Dubuffet in 1984 and located in front of the James R. Thompson Center at 100 W. Randolph Street.
The exterior Entrance to the Art Institute of Chicago building, 111 S. Michigan.
Outside image of the Fountain of the Great Lakes in the South Garden.
Modern day Lake View Building that houses SAIC
Exterior of Orchestra Hall (220 S. Michigan Ave.)-the once location of the Cliff Dwellers Club.
A modern day long shot of the exterior of the Fine Arts Building and Albert Roullier Art Rooms.
Fine Arts Building Front Exterior and Front Entrance
This is the modern day interior of the 7th Floor of the Fine Arts Building or the once Albert Roullier Art Rooms.
Interior Image of the Main Entrance to the Fine Arts Building Albert Roullier Art Rooms (7th Floor).
A 1907 image of the Fine Arts Building Main Entrance housed between the Auditorium Hotel and The Chicago Club. Within the FIne Arts Building were the Albert Roullier Art Rooms.
The once site of the home of the Brush and Pencil Magazine or otherwise known as the McClurg Building as seen in the year 2016.
The January 1907 Cover Page of the Brush and Pencil: An Illustrated Magazine of the Arts To-Day (Vol. XIX No. 1)
A modern day image of the location 12-30 W. Washington where the once Chicago Academy of Design and the later Art Institute was housed and now hosts a television studio and a shopping mall.
The exterior street view of Marshall Field and Company store and 1907 State and Washington Corner Great clock. The store, both a National and City Landmark, is official modern day house of Macy's department store.
The once site of the Record-Herald Building or the home of the Fine Arts Journal. THe building is now no longer extant in the year of 2016, but the estimated location is at 154 W. Washington Blvd.
Cover of the January 1910 Fine Art Journal: Devoted to Art Music & Literature
Outside View of the Art Institute Chicago Modern Wing Building at Night
Mrs. Bertha Honoré Palmer, wife of Potter Palmer, a wealthy socialite in Chicago society at the turn of the 20th century.